Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Biting the Big Apple

It's finalized, ladies 'n gents -- I'm heading to Manhattan for a whirlwind adventure! Très exciting, no? It all started four months ago when I began applying for summer internships from sea to shining sea (mainly New York, Chicago, San Fransisco, and LA). And never in a million years could I have foreseen just how difficult the whole saga would be. I mean, look at these stats:

Number of positions applied for: 144
Number of paid positions: 34/144
Number of unpaid positions: 110/144
Number of calls back: 4
Number of offers: 1

The job search was vicious, but I'm proud to say I survived. Feels bloody amazing to stroke one thing off of my mental checklist. So what's left? Well...

- Finish an ungodly stack of visa paperwork
- Move (yes, I found somewhere to sleep other than the subway)
- Spend a week experiencing NYC before job starts
- Start job
- Make money
- Spend all money
- Spend more money
- Party in the USA à la Miley Cyrus

Also on my agenda are tonnes of Broadway shows, sports games, and concerts. I already have tickets to Radio City Music Hall Presents "Glee Live" on May 30th (I don't even watch Glee, but, hey, why not?), and hopefully I'll make some great friends who'll help me discover the rest of the city. A girlfriend wouldn't be so bad, either -- I've always planned on my first marriage being for US citizenship, so don't be surprised if there's some Jersey Shore Snooki hanging off this Canadian Situation's arm come August.

One very important note: over the course of my trip, I'll use this blog to keep in contact with the masses. So if you have any suggestions, wacky dares, or things you'd like to see me do on my trip, I'd be happy to carry them out and blog about the results. Essentially you will come up with the posts this summer, so start thinking of stuff you wanna see in NYC. Like Donald Trump's children on The Apprentice, I'll be your eyes and ears.

So to everyone reading, re-bookmark this blog and keep in touch. The adventure starts May 22nd.

And to NYC, I give you fair warning. "Up there in lights, I'll be..."

3 comments:

  1. To think you'd be going to New York WITHOUT your mom, and still gonna be a star? It's awesome to believe!

    I'm so excited for you Devon, please keep Susan Blip alive and I will bookmark and check like a madwoman.

    I just wanna see any and all pictures of you in the big city, and I'll be praying to the gods for a snooki for you <3

    - Ash-Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I found a video that is totally you as a kid haha. Perhaps it will inspire you in your future! http://www.urlesque.com/2010/04/26/awesome-kid-deconstructs-lady-gaga-sexyback-modern-sexuality/

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, love the obscure farzene reference.

    and that video... yikes! shockingly similar. thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete