Monday, May 31, 2010

End of the Honeymoon

GLEE! For all you Gleeks out there, get ready to be green with envy. I finally got to see Glee Live last night from front row first mezzanine of Radio City Music Hall. It was the last performance of their tour and included all the show's top hits, as well as video cameos from Sue & Mr. Schuester and a special encore song with Jonathan Groff.

But I won't bore everyone with all the Gleetails (let's face it, those who don't love the show hate it), so let's move on to some more updates.

The apartment's starting to feel much more New York. Two days ago, our freezer and dishwasher started leaking and, consequently, some floorboards are popping up. We called maintenance and within an hour, two plumbers came barging in. They muscled the fridge out, yelling loud Italian phrases, and then pushed it back; I managed to catch the words "broken pipe" before the mustache'd duo dashed away and slammed the door behind them. [That's the last I saw of Mario and Luigi, so I'm hoping they'll return tomorrow. In the mean time, George put a few coffee mugs under the drips (which I've only had to empty once). So yeah, we're coping.]

Hmm... what else have I been up to...?

Well yesterday, Whitney (marvelous soprano star/friend from Saskatchewan) flew in and took me to the best bagel place you can possibly imagine. I mean, it's so good I shouldn't even be telling you about it. The bagels are nothing short of warm doughy miracles, and the cream cheese tastes like children's dreams. Afterwards we went shopping down Madison and got frappuccinos in Trump Tower. Between the leaky apartment and 5th Ave couture trips, my life feels like an awkward cross between Carrie Bradshaw and Liz Lemon.

Today was Memorial Day, so the roommates and I took a subway to Chinatown/SoHo to do some exploring. We winded down a couple markets, strolled through Little Italy, and ended up in Battery Park. 'Twas my first glimpse of Lady Liberty on the Hudson, and she was lookin' fine.

Tomorrow's my first day at work (eek!), so the NYC honeymoon is officially over. I'm glad I came a week early to do all this adventuring; two broadway musicals, Late Show with Dave Letterman, Glee at Radio City Music Hall, off-broadway's Avenue Q, movie premieres, Macy's sprees, and afternoons in Central Park were great to experience before going back to the grindstone.

Wish me luck with the new job! Penn Plaza, here I come...

P.S. Don't forget to vote on May's CBAs! The poll closes tomorrow at 12:00a.m. EST.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck out there!
    You're one of the hardest working people I know, and actually making it to NY was the first hurdle, you'll do just fine from now on Devon.

    ReplyDelete