Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tony Tony Tony Tony Tony!

What a star studded night! This evening marked the 64th Annual Tony Awards, and New York was abuzz. If there's a place to be for this all-out theater extravaganza, Manhattan is it; Times Square transforms into a giant stadium equipped with live feed, and Radio City Music Hall blocks off most of 50th for its celebrity packed red carpet.

And speaking of celebs, here's the list of the people I saw, flesh and bone, only thirty feet away from my drooling face...

Catherine Zeta-Jones. Denzel Washington. Michael Douglas. Angela Lansbury. Idina Menzel. Constantine Maroulis. Alfred Molina. Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool. Will Smith. Bebe Neuwirth. Michelle Williams. Viola Davis. Christopher Walken.

Whew!

The weather was crummy, but that probably helped with crowd control. I was able to squeeze my way to the front-ish row and get a good view. I knew I couldn't stay for the whole red carpet, though, because I had to boogie it over to Blondies for the less-formal-but-just-as-awesome awards party. It was tough; celebrities are like crack to me. I kept telling myself "only five more minutes, five minutes!" Well before I knew it, five extra minutes turned into forty. But at about ten to seven, I finally had to rip myself away from the camera flashes and hightail it on Subway 1 to W 79th.

So Blondies, typically a sports bar, closed its doors tonight to host Broadwayspace.com's private Tony's party. Which was awesome. Only in New York would a sports bar shut down to host a theater event -- and what an event it was! I deem tonight one of my favorite nights in New York thus far.

The evening was hosted by Kyle Riabko and Annaleigh Ashford, two Broadway stars currently lovin' it up in Hair. They did NOT disappoint. Every commercial break, they'd give out tonnes of prizes (sometimes through raffle, sometimes trivia questions) and they had costume changes, Wii matches, and jokes aplenty. Highlights include Annaleigh coming over and taking bites of our chicken fingers, Kyle comically enlightening the audience about Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (it's where he grew up!), and Annaleigh giving her own made-up Tony acceptance speech. The food and drinks were nonstop, and the crowd was so friendly you'd think everyone were best friends.

We even got goody bags on our way out. Score.

But all good things must come to an end. Back to work tomorrow, though I feel this week might zoom by pretty quickly. For example, on Wednesday I get to go on a community projects work day with my fellow interns (cleaning up some rundown schoolyards with a volunteer organization that Bette Midler started a decade ago), which should be a good grounding experience. I know Bette won't actually be there, but that won't stop me from quoting Hocus Pocus once or twice.

Take care, readers, and have a great week. The weekend'll be back before we know it.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you took lots of pics on the Red Carpet and at the party!! I can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete