Thursday, July 29, 2010

Star Spangled Nights

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What celebs I have hailed at the twilight's last gleaming:


Hazaa! In the last four nights, I've met singer/songwriter Matt Doyle, Disney star Corbin Bleu, TV diva Sean Hayes, and Broadway powerhouse Kristin Chenoweth.

Hold on, back up a few nights.

The week was off to an awesome start when a friend from home arrived at the airport on Sunday. Very exciting to have a familiar face around (even though I still had to work my usual 9-5 job), and man did we pack of lot of stuff in. On Monday, for instance, she'd reserved us tickets to a dinner concert at the mega-ritzy, ultra-suave, you-better-tip-damn-good restaurant Feinstein's on Park Ave. The performer was Matt Doyle (Pic #1), a fiercely talented twenty-three year old who rivals Michael Buble's jazzy swagger and vocal chops. The kid can sing.

On Tuesday we saw IN THE HEIGHTS, a big vibrant show that won the 2008 Best Tony. Very Latino, very sexy. Two thumbs up. It starred Disney's afro-fluffing, b-ball playing B-lister from High School Musical: Corbin Bleu. He was actually pretty good, which sort of surprised me, and was as nice as could be at the stage door when we got him to take pictures and sign all our swag.

After meeting Corbin, we ran over to the Promises Promises theater to see if we could catch Kristin Chenoweth.

No luck.

Sean Hayes came out and zipped through a few signatures before the guard announced that Kristin had already left. But sometimes when guards say an actor is gone, I don't trust them. So while all the disappointed fans slumped away down the street, myself and my friend hid in the shadows like theater creepers and waited another ten minutes to see if she would sneak surreptitiously out the side door.

But she didn't. So that was a waste of time.

The NEXT night, however, we tried again and, lo and behold, she showed up! She's very tiny (4'11"), which makes looking for her in a crowd of people tougher than trying to spot a black midget in a dark nightclub. Fortunately, since we were front row, she came right up to us and said a quick "hi" before hopping in the back of her idling SUV and driving away.

That's one of my favorite parts: watching the celebs soar away from us mortals, waving back and blowing kisses and grinning like it's the best time of their life. I mean, the closest us Joe Schmoes get to that feeling is, I dunno, on pub crawls. Girly cheering, camera flashes, arms flailing out windows. Not that I have anything against pub crawls, of course, but a long yellow school bus isn't exactly my idea of a "stretch" (and as endearing as 'The Yogi Bear Song' is, I could go for something more sophisticated once in while).

Unfortunately, my friend's stay went by way too quick -- she's already gone, off to visit another friend in Chicago. Whatever will I do with myself? Well, here's the weekend forecast:

Tomorrow = Thai lunch with coworkers. Saturday = LION KING. Sunday = tickets to Scott Adsit @ Haft Auditorium.

I'm running out of days!

...Oh, and accommodations.

Haha, funny story...

See, my apartment rental only lasts until August 9th, while my internship goes until the 13th. So yeah. I'm sort of homeless for five days. And I don't have a plane ticket home yet either.

Gulp. Things could get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment